Monday 8-14 New Gym
Tuesday 8-15 Old Gym
Wednesday 8-15 New Gym
Missed Practice - Assistants ran practice and weights.
Thursday 8-17 Old Gym
2. Kids read the 2v1 situation well. I had to remind them that in a 2v2 matched state, we need to run an action to create the advantage. I don't want them in the habit of solely relying on 1 on 1 play in those situations.
3. Skipped 4v4 and went right to 5-0 Transition
4. We went through this progression (4 rounds): Pitch - Punch, Pitch - Attack - Score, Pitch - Flatten the Defense - Pass back to PG for Shot, Pitch - Flatten - Pass back to PG - Drive and Kick to Opposite Corner. We had 3 groups using one ball. The next rebounder grabbed the ball out of the net from the group in front of them. The rebounder made an outlet pass to the PG. We didn't spend a lot of time teaching what we expected in transition. The guys have a lot of experience in this area.
5. We played 5v5 FC straight up with no advantage start. We looked to pitch ahead and play the advantage or run our actions vs a matched defense. The timing is not there yet with the actions. Our inside kids were hovering too much around the elbow area, even when we had an advantage.
Friday 8-18 New Gym
2. I love using 1v1 FC to work on Ball Handling. IMO, it’s the best thing you can do to simulate bringing the ball up the floor in a game situation. We didn't use any rules or restrictions.
3. We spent a couple minutes reviewing the main ideas and the order of our HC actions.
4. We worked on initiating our HC offense with either a pass that lead to Deuce or a Horn’s ball screen and roll. We had one line up top and 2 guys on each elbow area. The guards still need work on separating away from the ball after not receiving the Deuce handoff. We ended up playing 3v3 from this alignment.
6. I thought the 5v5 went well considering what time of the year it is. A Sr. told me he was surprised at how well we are looking this early. We are fortunate to have several guys that can make plays in the open floor. At this stage, they feel more comfortable getting up and down in transition than they do running HC offense. The flow from transition to actions was better than it had been all week. This is one of our pillars for this season, so I plan on making this a daily session in our practices.